On The Word "Feminism"

In the 1960's or so, we had the civil rights movement. This was the movement that secured civil rights to certain people, particularly black people.

In the present day, some try to label the LGBT movement for the applicability of marriage to same-sex couples a civil rights fight as well.

In the treatment of animals, those who want to secure certain rights to animals also try to fall under this category, but more commonly under the words "humane", to indicate fair treatment.

In these three categories, we call them these names, civil rights fighters, humanitarians, and whatever else. But what we don't see is someone who fights for the rights of minorities a "minority-ist", a "black-ism" or even a "animaltarian."

However, there are many people today who, purporting to defend equal rights for females, call themselves "feminist." Why is this unlike the others? Why don't these people pick up "civil rights activist" or "humanitarian?" You wouldn't be so particular in these other groups, so why do so here?

I don't know. I don't claim to be a feminist, and there are so many different types of feminism, the whole project seems to be incoherent, not unlike Protestantism! But if a feminist reader would like to answer, I would be happy to listen.

Here is a concern I do have about the insistence on the usage of the word. It seems to me like the insistence of a female to be called a feminist instead of these other titles, titles which seem appropriate considering what they claim to be fighting for, is a hint of pride, greed, and self-centeredness. This would explain why I have come across an attitude of misandry common in many of the feminists I've met. I realize this isn't encompassing of all feminists, but I do think it describes the leftist feminists well, and it looks to me like most feminists today are leftist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?