Christian Slogans Pt. 2

Apparently, my post on slogans was popular. So here is another couple that annoy me. 


“Did you get advice about it?” What, are my actions so unbelievable to you that you find it hard to believe that I did in fact get advice about it and still did what I did? The question is condescending. I’m not stupid, and even if I did get advice, then what? Let’s say I have a choice between A and ~A and for whatever reason, I “get advice”. Then let’s say that out of 20 people, 19 advised me to do ~A and after having considered their advice, I go ahead and do A instead of the popular ~A. Having been in this situation before, I’ll say I get much frowns. But that’s okay. I asked for advice, not a vote. Let’s say that in asking around about A and ~A, the reasons I heard given for ~A were fallacious. I recognize this because I’m trained to spot them, but many aren’t. Then, for the one reason I was advised A was not fallacious and pretty sound. I am going to go with A instead of ~A, and if you don’t like that, you’re a communist. 

“Advice is not just advice.” Then what the heck is it, and why are we still calling it advice? This is just a blatant violation of the laws of logic. The Law of Identity states that everything is equal to itself. You don’t need to be an Einstein to figure that out. If advice is not advice, then don’t call it advice. It is not advice AT ALL. It’s like saying, Adrian is not just Adrian. Then, who the heck is he? Is he also Adrianne? Usually this slogan is followed by some sentiment of not taking advice, whatever that means. Do they mean that I don’t take advice, even though I’ve judged that advice bad, as I demonstrated in the previous paragraph? But then, that’s not a bad thing. Maybe they mean what I said in my previous paragraph, that what they really mean is that I should ask for a vote and so in that case, advice is not just advice, it’s a vote. Okay, then call it a vote and stop calling it “advice”, and then I dare you to try to find scripture to back this up, without hiding behind the word “advice” committing an equivocation fallacy, thus giving you a way to manipulating people. 

“Because we have free will.” This is used in many contexts. I remember the first time I heard this. After having explained my reasons for supporting pre-arraigned marriages, my opponent said we should not allow them because we have free will. She then asked me why I wanted to take away her free will. I was so traumatized by the utter stupidity of this rebuttal I haven’t brought the topic since, but the specter continues to haunt me. I saw a resurgence in this slogan during the election. As a Christian, one should be against certain things, like abortion. I was saddened by the state of mind by my fellow Christians who would reply that while they were against abortion personally, because we have free will, it should be permitted. That would never work for anything else, like genocide, or murder. Imagine someone says, “Well, personally, I am against the raping and torturing of little infants, but because we have free will, I’m not against it legally.” Of course, saying “…because we have free will…” doesn’t sound intelligent at all because when you think about it, everything that we are able to do we are able to do because it is our will to do it, even the most terrible things imaginable, so anything and everything is permissible. It’s not an exaggeration, think about it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?