Unity In Friendships

There is a sense in which we wanted to share experiences with friends. It isn't so much that we want conformity, but unity. Conformity may be something like watching a TV show while you are at your house and he is at his, and then you text about it. You two are conforming to the same habits and same tasks. However, when there is unity, you are sharing a screen, you are sitting next to each other, and perhaps even sharing a meal. Unity is a perfected form of conformity. How strange would it be if I invited you over to watch a program and I told you to watch in the living room while I watched in my bedroom? You would think there was a serious disconnect there, and you would question why I invited you over in the first place. 

So it is with friends in general. Friends do not desire just conformity, but unity. It makes me wonder about the quality of my friendships, or I guess the quality of friend that I am to them. While I do have this general desire to do things with friends, I don't usually take initiative. Our conversations usually happen over text or internet, and rarely face to face, and we rarely set anything to be united in that sense. 

This past Wednesday, I was really glad to see my good friend David at a lecture. I miss my buddy Alfredo. I desire greatly to be reunited with Ariana.  I want to build more friendships and I suppose keeping in mind this unity-conformity distinction is a helpful principle towards that end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?