Silence in the Face of Scandal

I love a good fight in a hotly debated controversy. It keeps me sharp and I often learn things. Some have taken note on my silence concerning what is perhaps the most important contemporary controversy within the Church, which is,
who can receive communion? This was all ignited with Pope Francis' Amoris Laetitia, and in response, the Cardinal's Dubia. There is considerable talk about schism, and the titanic gravity of schism is not something one can really talk about with the flippant attitude I usually have when debating other topics. This is partly the reason I've been silent, because I like to have fun, and talks of schism is not something to have fun with. 

But the primary reason I haven't said anything publicly is because I want to avoid further scandal. Yes, scandal. I wouldn't consider this a scandal if the Pope were in the right. But I do not think the Pope is in the right, and so, this constitutes a legitimate scandal. So, how should a faithful Catholic layman deal with scandal at this level? Genesis 9:22-24 reads,
And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. Then Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it upon both their shoulders, and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father; their faces were turned away, and they did not see their father’s nakedness.
I see a lot of people talking this scandal up, kind of like how Ham is doing (hence Noah's anger at him in the next few verses). My silence is an effort to not be like Ham, and my efforts to not bring attention to the scandal is my effort to be like Shem and Japeth. 

None of this is to say that one should not be informed or one shouldn't talk about these things. They absolutely should. But we need not speak so loudly of it that we bring further shame upon the Holy Father. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?