Does God's Foreknowledge Preclude Free Will?

No. God knowing what you will do in the future does not mean you don't have free will. Whatever it is that makes something true, God knowing it isn't a truth maker. If God knows I'm going to wear jeans today, His knowing it isn't what makes it is true. Whatever makes it true is how God knows it, otherwise, he wouldn't know it at all since there would be nothing true to know (or, if God knowing something in the future makes it so, how did He know it in the first place?). To make the case more apparent, say I am currently wearing jeans. Then God currently knows I am wearing jeans. But God knowing I am wearing jeans at this moment isn't what is making me wear jeans at this moment, anymore than God knowing the past is makes makes the past true, and so, it isn't true of the future as well. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting case, I'm curious. Since this is on the topic of Divine Foreknowledge and Creaturely freedom, what's your take on the Molinist position? It seems to me to be quite tenable, but I'm always open to hearing different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit on the fence on that at the moment. Had you asked me five years ago, I would have been a die hard Molinist. But since then, I've read "Predestination" by Lagrange and "Ten Philosophical Mistakes" by Adler, and they have a different definition of freedom (a Thomistic definition) which I'm sympathetic to. So, is freedom the ability to do otherwise or is it the power to act upon intellect? I tend to think the latter, but I'm still not definite on it.

      Delete
  3. If the direction of causation is from the truth or reality of a situation to God's knowledge rather than the other way around, then wouldn't that entail backward causation in the case of God knowing the future?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?