In Love

I've wondered what it means to be in love. What does it mean to say, "I'm in love"? There is a popular understanding of it, which is, "I have romantic attractions about this person" but I've been trying to square that with my understanding that love is the willing of the good for the other person. When we say "I'm in love", according to this popular understanding, we are only saying something about ourselves. We aren't saying anything really about the other person. And that seems to be a problem, since willing the good for the other, the traditional definition of love, and excluding them in the popular definition, are at odds. So, maybe we can understand "being in love" in this way: willing the good for the other (basic def.) but believing that you are that (or a) good for the other. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?