Confession Face to Face

I was in line at the confessional last week or so. I was towards the end of the line, and the priest had already begun hearing confessions. Another priest then came and directed some of us to another room where he would also be hearing confessions. So I go, and so do a few others. We realize that his confessions will be face to face, and not behind a veil. This isn't a problem for me, and never has been. It seemed to be a problem for the lady behind me. Now, it's usually bad manners to chit chat while in line for confession, since that's a time to prepare and meditate upon our sins, but apparently she didn't get the memo. "Oh dear," she says to me, "he's doing face to face. That makes me nervous."

"It shouldn't." I tell her. 

"But he will know who I am." 

"That's right. And when you die, and you see God in the face, God will know who you are and what all your sins were, and you will have nothing to hide your face with. If you cannot see God's representative in the face, you probably won't do well on the day of your judgment. It's a good exercise in humility." 

"Oh...that makes sense." 

I can see why she might like the anonymity of a veil within the confessional. It discourages repentance, as anonymity on the internet entices us to be vile without accountability, so can anonymity in the confessional make us feel free to continue in our sins. In the confessional, whom are we accountable to? Certainly not the the priest, as he cannot work upon the knowledge he gained during confession. But it is to who the priest represents, in persona Christi, which is Christ Himself. And to Him, the all knowing God, are we ultimately held accountable. I tend to hear the "He might know who I am" reason often given to not going to the face to face confessions. This is only something to fear if you probably intend on persevering in your sins or if you are afraid the priest will betray the seal of confession. Both are irrational. 

If you prefer the veil because you think it makes you more humble or something, by all means, go for it. But don't reject face to face confessions for these bad reasons. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?