The Joy and Pointlessness of Kissing

I had often wondered whether the hours long make out sessions with my then girlfriend were occasions to sin. We figured they were, so for that, and a few other reasons, we decided to slow down, a lot. This was interesting for me because I've never kissed a girl like that before, and to go from basically no experience to nearly crashing and burning, it had me thinking: What the heck is kissing? Like, okay, it's when one person presses their lips against someone else, generally on the lips as well, or maybe the cheek, or maybe even the forehead. But like, what does it do? 

So, like, sex. We know what sex is, and we can describe it in such a way that refers to the final cause of sex, which is procreation. To refer to sex without final causes is to be a somewhat deficient explanation of what sex is. What then is the point of kissing? I can't figure it out. Why the lips? Why not my index finder? I mean, sure, me poking your face over and over again with my finger is probably annoying after a while, but why isn't it annoying with kisses? Well, maybe kisses do get annoying

I can understand hugs a bit more. But not kissing. It's hard to say it's a social construct because it seems every culture has it. So, I dunno. Maybe there is no point. It's kinda fun though. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?