Lent and Desire

I have usually thought of Lent as a penitential season in which we just endure sacrifice, suffering, discomforts, whatever. Sacrifice and that's it. You pay a due. But I listened to an interview with the amazing Fr. Pine, and he says that such sacrifices are meant to, at the end of them, increase your desire for God. 

I appreciate this point greatly. It comes at a time where I feel I am nearing the end of my suffering (though I cannot say I know this with any certainty. God may strike down all my loved ones in some catastrophe tomorrow) where I have done tons of penance, and tons of prayers. In front of the Blessed Sacrament, I will pray for God to take away my desire for other people, and have me desire only Him. To be able to give myself to Him as He has given Himself to me. Whatever graces are associated with these, I seem to be absorbing. I do have a greater desire, even if still imperfect. 

And a big part of this is just following Fr. Pine. I will see him, and think, 'Geez, that is just a happy guy. I want to be happy like him. What does it take to be happy like him?' And as my friend Gary pointed out, he has given himself completely over to God's will. And I haven't, at least, not to that degree. But I'm working on it. Thank God for such amazing priests. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?